A journal of Zack's experience at JL Zwane Church and Centre in Guguletu, South Africa, summer 2007.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Last Day" at JL Zwane

So officially today is my last day at JL Zwane. Unfortunately, things with my flooded rental car still have not been resolved, which means that I will be coming in tomorrow to use the fax machine, etc, and will remain in Cape Town until the matter is resolved. Whenever that happens, I will travel around the Western Cape province until I leave the country August 23rd. That's one week from today. Not much time.



I have been surprised this week at how many people have taken time to thank me, appreciate me, and even say I had made a big impact on their lives! Seriously, I feel I haven't done too much, and the people here have changed my life in a far more lasting way than I can have done for them. It is humbling to have people appreciate me when I have so much more often experienced what I do as a mere drop of difference in an ocean of need. And yet, people say they will remember me, and for how many times people have mentioned what Jevon did here last summer I don't doubt it. As I said above, everyone I have known here has taught me something about what it means to love, to be a friend and a neighbor, to display ubuntu and live as one existing with and because of others, to put the needs of others before your own, to give.




Here are some pictures from the past week, with people who have meant something special to me. To the left is Nomakwesi (back), Johanna (left), and Yvonne at the church in Nyanga where they have been training volunteer workers for the past month. I have been on visits to orphans, people sick with HIV/AIDS, and elderly men and women with these three ladies throughout my ten weeks here. They are the people I have probably gotten closest to and had the most interaction with. I am humbled that people I have depended on so much, who have taught me a great deal about the community and the townships, and who stepped up in situations where I wouldn't have known what to do on my own, have told me that I have taught them so mcuh and they don't know what they would do without me!






As far as the trainings, I only taught one session and came by infrequently aside from that. I didn't feel I did much. But this week the trainees insisted I come over so they could say goodbye and thanks and give me a proper send off! The ladies above are cooking the meal we ate in honor of my departure. Below is a picture of the trainees, who all signed a nice card and said words of appreciation that seemed out of proportion to the little I thought I had done for them. But they love me and they will miss me. It almost made me want to cry. And over a silly card! I would not have thought that sentimental things like that would get to me, but I guess you never know until you are in the situation. These people have been very well equipped by the trainings Yvonne organized, and they are already getting started offering pastoral counseling. Yvonne is trying to arrange internships for them to work as counselors in local hospitals. This is a big deal for people who are mostly unemployed, struggle with HIV, and may not even know where their next meal is coming from. In a place where jobs and job training are extremely scarce, this is an amazing opportunity for them. I feel like my little training session wasn't much, but on considering what they face every day I am starting to better see why it was so significant to them.



Finally, Nqo and Mama Katoni deserved my thanks for spoiling me and fattening me up with so much good food the past ten weeks. Call me a kiss-up, but I thought they might like some flowers. Nqo was just fascinated by the flowers for several minutes, and whether she was posing or just didn't want to look up she didn't peer up when I took this photo. Mama Katoni needed some help getting her sick husband to the clinic, which is how I spent the first half of the day today. I was glad to do it. Just another way to demonstrate how much she means to me, and how I am grateful for the love that she and everyone else here have shown to me. I am really going to miss all of the people I have gotten to know here. I hope that I can show as much love to the people I know at home.
Speaking of whom, thanks to all of you who have checked in with the blog and kept up with me. I love you and appreciate you, and I am looking foward to seeing you again. This may not be my final blog entry, so I'll stop before I get any more sentimental than I already have.

No comments: